The intent of these guidelines is to provide and explain requirements, guidelines and best practices for electronic mail (e-mail) messages that meet the criteria for records as defined by the Ohio Revised Code.
These guidelines have a two-fold purpose. First, they are intended to assist state agency employees in complying in their use of e-mail with Ohio public records law. Second, the guidelines promote best practices and suggestions that facilitate the effective capture, management, and retention of electronic messages as public records.
These guidelines apply to State of Ohio executive agencies. Other governmental entities may also wish to follow these guidelines as appropriate.
- Download⇒ Managing Email Guidelines (2000 – PDF)
- Download Tip Sheet⇒ Email Management for IT Managers (2014 – PDF)
- Download ⇒ Email Management for Users (2014 – PDF)
- Download Tip Sheet⇒ Tips for Public vs. Private Media Tools (2011 – PDF)
- View: OhioERC’s 2010 Email Management Guidelines Seminar @ WGTE Knowledgestream