Mobile Device Risks, Records & Compliance Rules:
Managing Your Agency’s BYOD & COPE Policies
Employees increasingly are using smartphones, tablets, and other mobile devices to conduct government agency and personal business. Some use personal, unsecured smartphones to conduct government business. Others use agency-owned phones to hold private, nonbusiness-related conversations. Either way, mobile device use increases your agency’s records, legal, security, regulatory, productivity, and PR risks. To help manage potentially costly risks, best practices call for the adoption of Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) and Company-Owned Personally Engaged (COPE) policies, supported by employee education and technology tools.
In this program, Nancy Flynn, founder of The ePolicy Institute and author of The Social Media Handbook, The ePolicy Toolkit and other books, will review the mobile device risks facing government agencies—and will provide best practices-based rules, policies, and procedures to help reduce the likelihood of online disasters, while increasing compliance and enhancing communication. Learn why and how to develop and implement a strategic mobile device policy program, combining written rules, employee training, and technology tools. Don’t let smartphone slip-ups and mobile missteps blemish your agency’s reputation, damage business relationships, or sink your career. Attend this session to help your agency minimize mobile device risks, manage business records, and maximize compliance and communication.
- Recognizing & managing mobile device risks & compliance with best-practices-based policy
- Writing and implementing effective BYOD/COPE policies
- Preserving, protecting & producing electronic business records created by mobile devices
- Minimizing business record missteps generated by mobile device users
- Safeguarding confidential agency & taxpayer data on personal and agency-owned devices
- Communicating clearly, compliantly, and effectively with internal and external audiences
- Choosing the “right” communications channel and tone to communicate agency business
- Applying tips, tools, and rules for compliant, secure, and productive mobile device records, use & content
- Anticipating (and in some cases preventing) potentially costly records missteps, legal liabilities, regulatory disasters, security breaches, PR nightmares, and other mobile risks
- Applying best practices to help ensure legal, regulatory & organizational compliance
- Instituting content rules to manage records & enhance communication and compliance
- Enforcing personal use rules to minimize risks and maximize productivity
- Applying the “3-Es” of mobile compliance management
- Monitoring: reconciling privacy expectations with legal realities
- Learning from real-life mobile device disaster stories
About the Speaker
An internationally recognized expert on workplace email, social media, and Internet policy, compliance, and communication, Nancy Flynn is founder and executive director of The ePolicy Institute™. The Columbus, Ohio-based ePolicy Institute is dedicated to helping employers limit electronic risks, including litigation, through written policy, employee training, and compliance management programs. The ePolicy Institute has nearly 10,000 worldwide members who turn to Nancy Flynn for help implementing strategic, best-practices-based policy and training programs related to workplace email, social media, and Internet use, content, and compliance management.
Nancy Flynn is the author of 13 books including The Social Media Handbook; The ePolicy Toolkit; The e-Policy Handbook, 2nd Ed; Writing Effective Email,3rd Ed; E-Mail Rules; Blog Rules; Instant Messaging Rules; and E-Mail Management.
Nancy Flynn serves as an expert witness for the federal government and law firms engaged in email and Internet-related litigation. In addition, she is regularly retained by leading technology companies worldwide to conduct seminars and webinars, as well as create training tools. Since 2001, ePolicy Institute and American Management Association have cosponsored highly respected national surveys of electronic policies & procedures, monitoring & surveillance.
Nancy Flynn is a go-to media source who has been featured by Fortune, Time, The New York Times, Newsweek, Newsweek Poland, Irish Examiner, BusinessWeek, Forbes, Wall Street Journal, US News & World Report, Readers’ Digest, Financial Times, USA Today, Entrepreneur, InformationWeek, Kiplinger’s, Federal Lawyer, AP, Los Angeles Times, Chicago Tribune, Washington Post, NPR, BBC, ABC World News, CBS Early Show, CNBC, CNN Headline News, CNN Anderson Cooper 360, and Fox Business News among others.